3 days ago
Monday, May 18, 2009
Have you ever noticed?
Have you ever thought about how memories and dreams for the future are so ideal? Of course there are bad memories, but the good ones seem so perfect. I guess I edit out all the little annoyances of real life from my good memories. In my imagination everything is perfect too. I love that we live on an empty acre of land and I can dream up different ways to landscape and improve it. In my mind its a paradise. We're slowly (yeah yeah, slowly is an understatement) but surely changing it to match our dream for it, but you know, reality is rarely as good as imagination. C.S. Lewis had a good explanation for this. I think it's in "Mere Christianity." He used the analogy of a vacation. You plan it and dream it and anticipate it, but it never lives up to your expectation. He believed that that longing for heaven on earth is really a longing for our actual heavenly home. Our spirit remembers what heaven is like and we are searching for it here on earth and it never really turns up. I take that back, it does turn up but it surprises you and it is only for moments at a time. Like when you two year old covers you with a blanket and says " nigh nigh", or like yesterday when all the nursery kids where holding hands and singing "I am a child of God." That is heaven on earth. I have lots of other examples but I'll keep them to myself. They're a little too heavenly for a blog post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment