
Lately I've been reading the Little House on the Prairie books again. I read the whole series back in 4th grade and I forgot how much I liked them! I love how the family is so thrifty and productive and good. I love how simple their life was, and how happy they were. They had two changes of clothes, a table and chairs, a bed, a few dishes and tools, a stove, and that was it. I look at my mountain of laundry and wish it was socially acceptable to have a set of work clothes and a set of sunday clothes and be done! We have so much stuff. We have tons of clothes and dishes and toys and books, not to mention all the things we have to save time and energy. But do all these conveniences and comforts make us happy? I think a good dose of living off the land would do our country good. You know, where you actually have to make everything yourself and be self sufficient. The family in the book work hard for each other. They entertain each other and play together. They know and look after their neighbors. Most of all they are selfless. So many people today are only looking out for themselves, even before their spouse and children. I love how the children are taught to be polite and respectful of their parents and everyone around them. I love how they are active and healthy and know how to work and be persistent
Throw out the tv! Throw out the computer! Buy a cow and chickens! Home school your children! I'm ready to join the Amish and simplify my life!
Okay, now that my rant is done I'll go take advantage of my washer and dryer, hot running water, air conditioning, fridge, store bought everything, car, phone, plumbing, lights, immunity from disease, jeans.....................
I love Little House on the Prairie. Yes...we need a little of the old life style, with a touch of the modern conveniences....
ReplyDeleteMy goodness Eva! That is so funny! I started reading the Little House books a few weeks ago too!! Weird. I'm on Banks of Plum Creek now.. Great books-I totally agree!
ReplyDelete